Dr. Nicole Sundene, NMD
Did you know that laughter is the cure for anxiety in Chinese Medicine?
Alanis Morissette would 100% agree IT IS IRONIC that we are expected to laugh when we feel the least funny. Yet in Chinese Medicine we can only return to a place of balance when we have balanced emotions. So if you have been struggling with anxiety or depression I challenge you to find the humor in things. Try to sign yourself up for more joyful activities, classes or spend time with friends that make you laugh.
For optimal mental health, you need to go ahead and rent a funny movie, go to a comedy club, binge watch your favorite TV series and try to muster up a laugh to help cure the anxiety you are feeling.
Now if we can only get insurance to pay for depressed patients to go to the comedy club! 😉
Many of my anxiety disorder patients have reached their max stress levels the past few years, and many of my patients that have never complained of anxiety or depression are exhibiting signs of mental illness from our new lifestyle limitations. Try to schedule some fun downtime even if you don't feel fun you can at least pretend to go through the motions until you get back to your normal baseline. Here are important tips for anxiety disorder patients to help distract the anxious mind and alleviate stress:
1. Watch a funny movie even if you don't feel like laughing. Comedy is the remedy; no matter who you are, you’ll enjoy a good laugh!
2. Play some sports! Go swimming or go for a jog. This is the time to work out and sweat it all out.
3. Take a stroll in the park and walk your dog (or your neighbor’s).
4. Read a book, something that will keep you engrossed and guessing – suspenseful plots!
5. Curl up in bed and sleep in, the world probably does not need you today.
6. Learn how to cook a new dish. It’s going to be fun!
7. Practice Yoga. It relaxes your body, mind and soul.
8. Go window shopping. Take slow strides and just watch everything and anything.
9. Visit a zoo, an art gallery or a museum, these places are really eye opening! Even if you’ve visited before!
10. Call up your long lost friends and ask them out for lunch or dinner, catch up with them!
11. Go ice-skating! If you’re a beginner, you’re bound to fall. That may make you laugh!
12. For non-golfers, head towards the nearest driving range and swing at those golf balls.
13. Play some Sudoku or Crosswords, challenge yourself and see how hard it is for you.
14. Go bowling and just smack it! It doesn’t matter if the bowling ball goes down the drain!
15. Find some place peaceful and secluded and watch both the sunrise and sunset of that day! If you can’t find a nice spot, the roof is always a good option.
16. Go scuba diving, the experience of swimming with fish is fun, calming and carefree.
17. Ride a rollercoaster and scream your lungs out! The first ride is something you’ll remember for life!
18. Take random photos. Just pick up your camera and start clicking but make sure you take pictures of the outdoors!
19. Treat yourself to a health spa. Extremely stress relieving…
20. Look around you and see what’s happening in your community. Join a club or an event and try new things!
21. Blare your favorite song to karaoke to and sing it at the top of your lungs until you make yourself laugh.
If you are feeling depressed or anxious, that means it is time to step up and try new things! Take a walk on the wild side! And as for those who would rather play it safe and take each day as it comes, today is the day you give yourself a chance to let go! I am hearing a lot of my patients complain they feel lonely and isolated, many have lost friends to politics. If you are feeling alone I challenge you to reach out to five friends from the past you have not recently connected with. You most likely are doing them a favor!
No matter what you do, as long it is comfortable for you, it will be enjoyable. Do it with the ones you love and it’ll be even more exciting! Have fun! If you are struggling with your mood please SCHEDULE an appointment with me and check out more mental health tips on my blogs: "Natural Remedies for Depression," "Diet For Depression," "PTSD Symptoms & Treatment," "Anxiety: Fight, Flight or Fright," and "Are You Getting Vitamin L for Mental Health?"
Thank you for your Naturopathic Women's Health questions.
Please send them on a postcard to my clinic address below. Remember, if they can't fit on a postcard then you need to treat yourself to a Naturoathic VISIT with me.
Dr. Nicole Sundene, NMD
Dr. Sundene is a Naturopathic Doctor in Scottsdale, Arizona, and is considered a Female Hormone Expert in Women's Health and Bioidentical Hormones. She specializes in Holistic Women's Health for Menopause, Thyroid, Hashimotos, PMS, Perimenopause, Autoimmune, Postpartum Depression, Chronic Fatigue, Depression, Anxiety, Food Allergies, Digestion, Dermatology , Acne, Psoriasis, Eczema and Adrenal Hormonal Conditions. In 1999 she began working for a Hormone Doctor prior to starting Naturopathic Medical School. With over 23 years of experience in both Prescription and Natural women's health and hormones, she presents to women the best-integrated health solutions for their Chronic Disease. She has been an Herbalist for over 28 years and enjoys teaching women how to use herbs to balance their hormones, nutrition and optimize their health. Dr. Sundene relies on blood testing for her hormone metrics. The hormone testing is covered per the patient's insurance plan and conducted at certain points in the woman's menstrual cycle. To learn more about Hormone Testing for Women Visit: Bioidentical Hormones. Follow Dr. Sundene on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for more tips on Women's Health, Female Hormones, and Naturopathy!